Sunday 30 April 2017

Short Cuts

Having always had a leaning towards unorthodox solutions, I find, in my current circumstances, that I am even more inventive about competent management.

At one point in my life, I had a little studio in my home county.  This, in itself, is unremarkable.  However, it meant that of many things I have two.  For instance, I have two small travelling clocks.  What makes more sense than having one at either side of the bed so that, on whichever side I am lying, I can see what time it is  Some examples are quite ordinary and no doubt apply to everybody.  In every possible place of need there is a box of tissues.  There are, by the same reckoning, rather too many telephones distributed where I can pick them up two rings post first one..  I know, I know, why not just have one mobile phone one can carry in one's pocket?  Where's the challenge in that?  I remember, as a fairly little one, confusing my Mother by asking for a second bar of soap: one to rest on the hand basin and one by the bath.  My experience having been that the only bar of soap found itself at whichever site I  was not.  As an 'accompanying other' in my earlier life I travelled a great deal.  I had two complete toilet bags and two make up bags so that all I had to do to be ready was pick them up and go.  Mind you, there is a school of thought that suggests there is something therapeutic in picking up one's toileteries to pack one by one as a way of taking leave and of replacing them, similarly, as a way of coming home. This method would probably help even a bad case of Transition Anxiety.  Perhaps I havent told you about this phenomenon for which I humbly (not too humbly) take credit. While I was working and met many performing musicians who moved about a lot I identified a situation where one was neither still at the starting point nor yet at the destination.  For instance, waiting for a taxi.  You are sitting in your hall but can''t feel still at home in  your spirit but not yet on your way to wherever.  This situation can cause  feelings of real distress and anxiety.  Clearly, it matters more the greater the gap between the here and the there.  A better example of that may be if you emigrate from your home country to live in another.  With your old home emptied by the removers you can't feel as if you still live in it but you have yet to arrive in your new environment: (nowt nor somat, as I've pointed out before).   You are, thus, in transition and must treat yourself kindly and with respect. Actually, the truth seems to be that what I really relish in all this  is that very challenge to find a solution. .  Bore da

No comments: